Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 4, 2010

This Independence Day I was Farmer Michelle.  I took to my fields early, got my festive decorations planted, did some domestic crop-dusting, fed the party animals, got dirty and in the end had myself a harvest of happiness. 

My Fourth of July cup runneth over.  So much so that I deemed it my new favorite holiday.  Move over St. Patty's Day there's a new memory-maker in town and she promises lots and lots of laughter, tradition and fun with friends and family.  And there's no green vomit or leprechauns associated with it. 





While the little calves swam with all the bulls, us heifers happily stayed closer to pasture where all the wonderful grub and sangria were and grazed and gabbed.  I have to think we were the smart ones because we were still going strong come time for the fireworks while the bulls seemed a little waterlogged.








There's a sort of magical feeling you get when watching fireworks in your own backyard.  It's excitement and anticipation wrapped into its own emotional firecracker.  It makes your heart race and giddiness spew from what's left of your kid self.  There's an understanding that meets everyone's face as they watch in unison and start placing bets as to whether "this is it," the grand finale is here. 


 

For me, the magic continued to bubble deep in my soul even after the finale was over and had left our backyard resembling Hiroshima circa 1945.  I was happy.  I was loving life.  Off in the distance, The Boss serenaded us with "Born in the USA." And even better, Kennedy had not only stayed up and survived the spectacle of lights, but she actually enjoyed them. She clapped and swatted my hands away every time I tried to shield her ears from the loud pops.  She seemed to feel the magic too. 




Yes, my days of staying up late, drinking green beer and tipping my glass to the Irish are gone.  But they've been replaced with something more gratifying and fulfilling.  A day painted with red, white and blue hues.  A day that marks our freedom.  A day that's filled with kids and family and togetherness.  A day that's so American it feels unnatural not to grill hot dogs and hamburgers.  A day that I will forever look forward to.



I began the day a farmer, turned into a heifer mid-afternoon and went to bed a proud American.  Cheers!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Love the pics!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle and Kennedy, what a great way to celebrate the 4th and be a proud American. God bless you and all the happiness you bring to everyone. I am a lucky one to be a part of a wonderful family and look forward to seeing you all in August. Love ya, Grandpa!!

ps. Your words bring a special meaning to the photos you show!!